The modern aerosol inhaler flutiform® for the first time brings together two well-established asthma medications (fluticasone & formoterol)
SINGAPORE, 24 October 2014 – Mundipharma announced today the launch in Singapore of flutiform®, a new combination therapy for the maintenance treatment of asthma. flutiform® combines for the first time two of the most effective asthma medications1 in a single, portable aerosol inhaler.
A recent survey of asthma sufferers in Singapore found that only one-quarter of respondents take their asthma medication daily as it is prescribed, mainly because management of their condition did not seem relevant to them. 41% don’t see the need in taking their medication regularly if they’re not experiencing incapacitating symptoms or asthma attacks.2
“What many patients don’t realise is that they can significantly reduce the chance of serious asthma attacks simply by using their inhalers regularly. This is especially important with the return of the haze—even in moderate amounts, it can exacerbate their condition,” said Dr Chan Tiong Beng, Consultant Respiratory Physician and Intensive Care Cough & Chest Specialist, Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre. “By using two of the most effective asthma drugs available, flutiform® helps make it easier for my patients to adhere to their inhaler schedules and ultimately to prevent attacks.”
Providing regular treatment/control of asthma and fast symptom relief within one to three minutes of use,3 the combination of fluticasone, an inhaled corticosteroid (ICS); and formoterol, a long-acting β2-agonist (LABA), used in flutiform® has proven safe and effective in phase III trial results.4,5 The new option has also demonstrated comparable performance and is preferred
- Bodzenta‐Lukaszyk A, et al. Fluticasone/formoterol combination therapy is as effective as fluticasone/salmeterol in the treatment of asthma, but has a more rapid onset of action: an open‐label, randomized study. BMC Pulmonary Med. 2011; 11: 28.
- Mundipharma Pte Ltd data on file: REALISE – Asian Asthma Patient Survey Results, 2014.
- FLUTIFORM® Inhaler HSA‐approved Prescribing Information (May 2014).
- Pearlman DS, et al. Fluticasone propionate/formoterol fumarate combination therapy has superior efficacy to both fluticasone and formoterol alone. Abstract presented at ERS, 24‐28.09 2011 in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Bodzenta‐Lukaszyk A, et al, Efficacy and safety of fluticasone and formoterol in a single pressurized metered dose inhaler: Respiratory Medicine. 2011; 105:5, 674‐682.
by doctors and considered more effective than these combinations – salmeterol/fluticasone and budesonide/formoterol.6,7,8
Asthma is common in Singapore, affecting about 5% of adults and 20% of children.9 However, patients often underestimate the seriousness of their condition until the onset of severe symptoms. According to the recently-conducted REALISETM Asia survey of asthma patients, while 94% of Singaporean respondents consider their asthma to be well-controlled, only 25% have asthma that is controlled according to clinical guidelines.
To further increase convenience for patients and to improve adherence to medication regimens, flutiform®’s novel drug combination is housed in a traditional inhaler device that patients are already familiar with, eliminating the need to learn new techniques. The device also provides a dose counter for patients to easily keep track of medicine intake.
“Asthma still represents an important clinical challenge despite currently available treatments. With the insights garnered from REALISETM Asia, we recognised the need for making asthma management easier for patients” said Raman Singh, President, Mundipharma Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East and North Africa. “With flutiform®, we are offering effective medicines in an easy-to-use inhaler. Our ultimate goal is to help asthma patients live in a world where their condition is no longer a daily battle, and where they are able to live happier and more fulfilled lives.”
Asthma is a chronic (long-term) inflammatory disorder of the airways which leads to recurrent episodes of wheezing, breathlessness, chest tightness and coughing. Asthma is a serious condition affecting over 70 millioni people in Asia. Patients with poorly managed asthma are at an increased risk of exacerbations, hospitalisation and death. Poorly managed asthma can also have a huge impact on a person’s quality of life and day-to-day activities.ii
flutiform® is a combination treatment for asthma, bringing together, for the first time, the inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) fluticasone propionate and the long-acting β2-agonist (LABA) formoterol fumarate in a single inhaler. flutiform® is indicated for adults and adolescents (aged ≥12 years)
- Bodzenta‐Lukaszyk A, et al. Fluticasone/formoterol combination therapy is as effective as fluticasone/salmeterol in the treatment of asthma, but has a more rapid onset of action: an open‐label, randomized study. BMC Pulmonary Med. 2011; 11: 28
- Bodzenta‐Lukaszyk A, et al. Fluticasone/formoterol combined in a single aerosol inhaler vs budesonide/formoterol for the treatment of asthma: a non‐inferiority trial. Abstract presented at ERS, 24‐28.09 2011 in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- M Thomas, J Haughney, D Price. Physicians’ attitudes towards combination therapy with inhaled corticosteroids and long‐acting β2‐agonists: an observational study in UK specialist care. J PragObs Res 2011;2:25‐31.
- Singapore Health Promotion Board, 9 Apr 2013.
with asthma that is either not adequately controlled with an ICS plus an as-needed short-acting β2-agonist, or is already adequately controlled with an ICS plus LABA. 10 Mundipharma International Limited is licensed by Jagotec AG, a SkyePharma Group company, as the authorised distributor of the product for Europe and most other territories outside Japan and the Americas.
About REALISETM Asia
The REALISETM Asia, REcognise Asthma and LInk to Symptoms and Experiences, survey, sponsored by Mundipharma Pharmaceuticals Pte Ltd and developed in partnership with asthma experts, is a survey of asthma patients in Asia which aimed to assess patient attitudes and behaviours towards their disease. The survey was conducted with 2,467 people with asthma aged 18-50 across 8 Asian countries. In order to take part in the survey, respondents must have received at least two prescriptions for their asthma in the past two years and also had to be active on social media.
The Mundipharma network of independent associated companies consists of privately owned companies and joint ventures covering the world’s pharmaceutical markets. These companies are committed to bringing to patients the benefits of pioneering treatment options in the core
For media enquiries, please contact:
Tel: +65 6303 9732
Edelman Public Relations Worldwide (Singapore)
Tel: +65 6494 1552
- The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. The Global Asthma Report 2011. Available from: http://globalasthmareport.org/2011/images/files/Global_Asthma_Report_2011.pdf. Last accessed on 22 April 2014.
- Sims, E J; Price, D; Haughney, J; Ryan, D & Thomas, M. Allergy Asthma Immunol Res. Current Control and Future Risk in Asthma Management. Oct 2011; 3(4): 217–225.
®: FLUTIFORM is the Registered Trademark of Jagotec AG used under licence by Mundipharma.Tags: press releases