BATTLING COVID-19 TOGETHER:
The escalating severity of the novel Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and the dynamically changing conditions are presenting the world with new challenges.
Our thoughts and hearts go out to those who are affected by this outbreak and we are grateful to the many healthcare workers and all who are on the front line working tirelessly to contain this virus so that we can be safe and resume our normal daily lives as soon as possible.
It is in times like this that we are reminded what a small world we live in. With the COVID-19 coronavirus seemingly knowing no bounds, it is an issue that is bigger than one industry or any one nation and its impact is being felt across the globe.
PROTECTING YOURSELF AND THOSE AROUND YOU:
We can all take the necessary steps and do our part to minimise the further spread of COVID-19 during this ever-changing situation. As there is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19, the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organisation currently recommend that the most effective preventative measure against the spread Coronavirus COVID-19 include:
Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. And if soap and water are not readily available, then use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% ethanol or 70% isopropanol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick and putting distance between yourself and other people if COVID-19 is spreading in your community. This is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick.
- Staying home if you’re sick except to get medical care.
- Covering your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow and throwing used tissues in the trash.
- Wearing a facemask if you are sick
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces daily. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks.
However, you should also follow updates to these guidelines, and also your local government recommendations, as appropriate.
OUR RESPONSE TO THE OUTBREAK:
As we continue to navigate this situation together, we want to share with you our response to help combat the spread of the outbreak. We have been working relentlessly with Healthcare Authorities in various countries to provide BETADINE® Antiseptic products for use for healthcare professionals.
ROLE OF BETADINE® IN INFECTION CONTROL
- BETADINE® antiseptic range of products contain Povidone-iodine (PVP-I) which was introduced to the pharmaceutical market in the 1950s. Povidone-iodine acts by damaging microbial cell walls and cell structures and disrupting metabolic pathways needed for microbial replication and cell viability. BETADINE® antiseptic range of products have been shown to be effective against a wide range of microorganisms, including bacteria, viruses and fungi.
Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illnesses ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). The novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) which causes COVID-19 disease has been identified as genus betacoronavirus, placing it alongside SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV.
No studies have been done against SARS-CoV-2, the virus causing COVID-19. Previous laboratory studies indicate that BETADINE® antiseptic range of products have proven to be effective against other coronaviruses such as SARS and MERS. A 2006 Japanese study demonstrated that BETADINE® gargle and several other formulations were effective against SARS-CoV (Kariwa_2006). In-vitro studies done in a reputed laboratory in Germany showed that several BETADINE® products were effective against both MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV (Eggers_2015 & 2018). Besides this, PVP-I has demonstrated broad virucidal efficacy against several other viruses in several in-vitro studies (Kawana_1997). Povidone-iodine has also been proven to be safe and effective for use as an antiseptic handwash for healthcare workers. Even though we have data against similar coronaviruses, definitive confirmation of the efficacy of BETADINE® antiseptic range of products against the virus causing COVID-19 can only be provided once testing has been conducted, and we are working towards it.
- The BETADINE® range of products containing PVP-I has been trusted by hospitals around the world for over 60 years to prevent and treat a variety of infections.
Lachapelle et al. Clin. Pract. (2013) 10(5), 579–592
Kariwa H, et al. Dermatol. 2006;212(Suppl. 1):119‑123.
Eggers M et al., Infect Dis Ther. 2015 Dec; 4(4): 491–501.
Eggers et al. Infect Dis Ther (2018) 7:249–259
Kawana R, et al. Dermatology. 1997;195(2):29-35.